Traveling with your bike can be a great adventure but also present some logistical challenges.
One of the best ways to overcome these is by using a bike rack attachment for your cargo carrier.
These attachments are designed to fit securely onto your existing cargo carrier and provide a safe, sturdy platform on which you can mount your bikes.
The real beauty of using a bike rack attachment is that it allows you to use your vehicle’s space more efficiently. It frees up valuable room inside your car or van and eliminates the need for roof-mounted racks, which can cause wind resistance and affect fuel efficiency.
Types Of Bike Rack Attachments
There are numerous types of bike rack attachments available on the market today:
- Platform-style racks – These are ideal for heavy or electric bikes as they support the full weight of the bicycle on a flat platform.
- Hanging racks require the bicycle to hang from its top tube, making them more suitable for traditional lightweight bikes.
- Swing-away racks – A popular choice for larger vehicles because they allow access to the vehicle’s rear without needing to remove the bikes.
Choosing Your Bike Rack Attachment
When selecting a bike rack attachment for your cargo carrier, consider factors such as how many bikes you’ll typically be carrying, what type of bikes they are (e.g., children’s cycles will require different fittings than adult ones), and how often you’ll be using it.
It’s important to check that any bike rack attachment you’re considering is compatible with both your specific cargo carrier and vehicle make and model. The weight capacity of both should not exceed.
Be sure to consider security features if you’ll leave your bicycles unattended while traveling or upon arrival at your destination.
In conclusion, investing in a bike rack attachment for your cargo carrier offers an excellent way to transport your bikes safely and conveniently, allowing you more freedom during road trips or even just heading out for a local ride.
Find out what fits well with your needs and enjoy exploring new places on two wheels!
If your vehicle does not have a roof rack system, you can choose a soft-sided carrier that does not require a roof rack system.
A hitch-mounted bike rack is the cheapest option, allowing you to load up two bikes. They usually come with thermoplastic fittings, which protect the finish of the bike rack.
A heavy-duty version is the SuperClamp, which weighs 63 pounds and is easier to get on and off of your car. This attachment tilts down when you’re not hauling bikes.
It also features integrated cables for securing the bikes. The hitch lock included with the rack also allows you to lock your bikes while in transit.
However, many people find the SuperClamp to be difficult to use.
- Cargo carrier with attachment to transport 2 bikes using your vehicle’s 2″ Class III or IV hitch
- Cargo carrier has 400 lb weight capacity; bike rack has 80 lb total weight capacity
- Bike rack attachment can be removed or re-installed horizontally rotated when not needed
- Cargo carrier folds up against the vehicle for easy storage; rubber cradles hold bikes without scratching the frames
- Durable, powder-coated steel construction
Last update on 2024-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Some hitch-mounted bikes are too heavy to fit on hitch-mounted racks. For this reason, many consumers opt for hitch-mounted bike racks. This bike rack is ideal for cyclists who want to take their bikes on the road.
It can sometimes carry as many as five bikes, while others may find this cumbersome.
For such a scenario, purchasing a hitch-mounted rack accommodating as many bikes as possible would be wise.
A luggage carrier can be either front or rear-mounted. A front-mounted luggage carrier is generally reserved for cargo bikes, while a rear-mounted rack is reserved for utility bikes.
The front rack is typically a low-rider and is used for bicycle touring.
Various models are available, but most lightweight luggage carriers can be folded up for easier transport. And because it is not a rack connecting to the bike frame, it is limited in capacity.
Bike Rack Attachment For Cargo Carrier Pros and Cons
These attachments are ideal for individuals and families who like to travel and cycle in different locations. Here are some of the pros and cons of using a bike rack attachment for your cargo carrier:
- Versatility: Most bike rack attachments can accommodate many bicycle types and sizes.
- Space-saving: They allow you to use your vehicle’s cargo area for other luggage or gear, freeing up space inside your car.
- Accessibility: Easy access to bikes on car trips without disassembling parts.
- Protection: The rack offers protection by securely attaching bikes and reducing movement while driving.
- Installation: Some bike racks might be difficult to install or require special tools.
- Security Risk: Bikes may be susceptible to theft if not properly locked or if the rack doesn’t have a secure locking mechanism.
- Limited Capacity: Most standard bike racks can only hold up to 2 or 3 bikes. You may need an extra-large rack if you have more bikes which would be costly.
- Vehicle Clearance: Adding a bike rack on a cargo carrier could increase vehicle height, potentially causing problems with low clearance areas.
While there are potential drawbacks, many find that the convenience and benefits offered by these attachments make them well worth considering.